How can i look good at 60?
Want to look younger and feel better as you age? Who doesn't! While aging is inevitable, there are many things you can do to look and feel your best at any age. With a few simple lifestyle changes, you can shave years off your look and improve your overall health and wellbeing.
- Why Bother Trying to Look Younger?
Tactics to Look 10 Years Younger After 60
- Protect Your Skin from the Sun
- Moisturize and Nourish Your Skin
- Reduce Wrinkles with Anti-Aging Creams
- Brighten Up Your Look with Makeup
- Hydrate for a Youthful Glow
- Refresh Your Hairstyle
- Wear Modern, Youthful Clothing
- Develop Good Posture and Body Language
- Exercise and Stay Active
- Focus on Happiness and Wellbeing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Resources used to write this article
Looking younger isn't just about vanity - it's about feeling confident, healthy, and happy with where you are in life. Studies show that people who feel younger actually live longer, so turning back the clock isn't just beneficial for your appearance.
According to experts, the average 60-something woman can look 10 years younger by following these anti-aging tips and embracing a youthful spirit. Read on to discover the secrets for looking 10 years younger after 60!
Why Bother Trying to Look Younger?
Before we dive into the tips, you may be wondering - why even bother trying to look younger? What are the benefits? Here are a few great reasons to put in the effort:
- Feel More Confident: When you look your best, you tend to feel more confident and self-assured. Making small changes to freshen your look can give your self-esteem a noticeable boost.
- Enjoy Better Health: Many anti-aging habits also lead to better health, from eating well to using sunscreen. You'll reap the rewards in the form of fewer wrinkles and less disease.
- Make a Great Impression: Your appearance influences how others see you, so putting your best face forward makes a difference. Looking vibrant and youthful can help in your career and personal life.
- Slow Down Aging: While you can't stop the aging process, you can delay it by adopting habits that protect your skin and body from damage. It's never too late to start!
10 Tactics to Look 10 Years Younger After 60
- Protect your skin from the sun
- Moisturize and nourish your skin
- Reduce wrinkles with anti-aging creams
- Brighten up your look with makeup
- Hydrate for a youthful glow
- Refresh your hairstyle
- Wear modern, youthful clothing
- Develop good posture and body language
- Exercise and stay active
- Focus on happiness and wellbeing
Let's explore each of these age-defying strategies in more detail so you can start looking years younger!
1. Protect Your Skin from the Sun
Sun exposure is the number one cause of wrinkles, dark spots, and skin cancer. To avoid more sun damage, be diligent about applying sunscreen to all exposed skin year-round. Look for a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Reapply every two hours when outdoors. Also wear protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat when out and about.
Seeking shade between 10am and 2pm when UV rays are strongest is another smart tactic. Sun damage builds up over time, accelerating the aging process. Using sunscreen daily - even when it's cloudy - gives your complexion the best chance to stay smooth and youthful.
2. Moisturize and Nourish Your Skin
Dry, crepey skin has an aged look and feel. To combat it, moisturize morning and night with a rich cream or lotion packed with nourishing ingredients. Look for formulas with antioxidants like vitamin C and E to protect skin cells from free radical damage. Anti-aging peptides are another great addition to stimulate collagen production.
Apply moisturizer all over, including your neck, chest and hands to hydrate thoroughly. Exfoliating 2-3 times a week gets rid of dead skin cells so your creams can better absorb. A retinol product used at night will also help stimulate collagen growth for fewer wrinkles over time.
3. Reduce Wrinkles with Anti-Aging Creams
Speaking of wrinkle-fighting creams, using products formulated for maturing skin makes a visible difference in reducing lines and crepiness. Ingredients to look for include:
- Retinoids to build collagen
- Hyaluronic acid to plump skin
- Alpha hydroxy acids to smooth skin texture
- Antioxidants like vitamin C and green tea to prevent damage
Focus on treating fine lines around the eyes, forehead creases, and sagging neck skin to refresh your appearance. Consistency is key, so stick to a regimen daily. With regular use, you'll notice improvements in tone, texture and sagging.
4. Brighten Up Your Look with Makeup
The right makeup techniques can take years off your face. Play up your best features and minimize fine lines with these tips:
- Use a concealer to disguise undereye circles and dark spots. Blend well so it looks natural.
- Swipe blush onto the apple of your cheeks to give your complexion a youthful glow.
- Define your eyes subtly with a soft brown liner and mascara. Avoid heavy shadow.
- Fill in overplucked brows to frame your eyes beautifully.
- Pick a sheer lip color in a pinky tone to plump up thin lips.
- Dust a light shimmery powder on your lids, cheeks and décolletage for luminosity.
The goal is to let your natural beauty shine through - not plaster on heavy makeup. A pro makeup lesson at your local department store can teach you tricks for a more youthful look.
5. Hydrate for a Youthful Glow
Proper hydration plumps up skin cells and gives your complexion a healthy, dewy glow that minimizes fine lines. Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily, and consume juicy fruits and veggies at mealtime. Herbal tea, broth-based soups and fresh juices are other easy ways to hydrate. Cut back on wrinkle-promoting salt, alcohol, coffee and soda. Hydrating well keeps skin supple and radiant.
6. Refresh Your Hairstyle
Your hairstyle can play up or downplay your age. To cut years off your look:
- Get a modern, layered cut with feathered framing around your face
- Add bouncy waves and curls to take off length
- Go for a warm brunette or blonde shade with golden highlights
- Try a sweeping fringe or side-parted bangs to camouflage wrinkles
- Use a volumizing mousse to pump up limp locks
Schedule trims every 6-8 weeks so your cut retains its shape. See your stylist regularly to update your look. An outdated hairstyle can age you.
7. Wear Modern, Youthful Clothing
Dress like the chic, active woman you are - not the outdated senior stereotype. Avoid frumpy, oversized clothes that hide your figure. Instead, opt for fashionable pieces like:
- Fitted dark denim jeans that flatter your shape
- Tunic sweaters in jewel tones to brighten your complexion
- An elegant blazer or jacket that nips in at the waist
- Accessories like a colorful scarf or trendy shoes
- Well-cut dresses and skirts paired with tights and boots
High quality fabrics like wool and cashmere feel luxurious. Have clothes tailored to fit properly, even if you buy them oversized. Stay on trend by reading fashion blogs and magazines.
8. Develop Good Posture and Body Language
How you hold yourself impacts how old you appear. Practice these tips:
- Stand up straight with your shoulders back to avoid a hunched look.
- Keep your head high and make eye contact.
- Walk briskly with your stomach and behind tucked in.
- Open up your body language by uncrossing your arms.
- Smile and make facial expressions to avoid a scowling resting face.
- Gesture and move your hands to seem engaged and lively.
Maintaining good posture and positive body language portrays confidence and energy. Slouching or avoiding eye contact conveys being closed off. Mind your mannerisms to seem approachable and vibrant.
9. Exercise and Stay Active
Staying physically active keeps your body functioning optimally, which translates into looking and feeling younger. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise at least 5 days per week. Walking, water workouts, yoga and gardening are low impact options. Strength training twice a week builds muscle mass, which we lose as we age. Stretching keeps the body limber.
Exercise also helps:
- Lower your stress levels to prevent premature aging
- Release endorphins that give you a natural glow
- Promote better sleep so you wake up refreshed
- Keep energy levels high and mental sharpness on point
Stay motivated to move more by exercising with friends or signing up for classes you enjoy like Zumba.
10. Focus on Happiness and Wellbeing
How you feel inside radiates outward through your energy and mood. Make time for activities that feed your spirit like:
- Volunteering or helping others
- Pursuing hobbies that bring you joy
- Spending quality time with loved ones
- Practicing mindfulness, meditation or yoga
- Engaging in fulfilling work
- Getting out into nature
Laughter and optimism are also powerful youth elixirs that ease stress and make your eyes sparkle. Surround yourself with positive influences and practice gratitude. Your inner light will shine through on your face!
There are so many small yet impactful changes you can make to look and feel years - even decades! - younger after turning 60. Protecting yourself from sun damage, properly caring for your skin, hydrating, and getting in better shape provide noticeable anti-aging benefits. Updating your hairstyle, makeup and wardrobe give your look a modern edge. And don't underestimate the importance of feeling content!
What are your best tips for staying forever young? What's your secret anti-aging weapon? Share your advice in the comments to motivate and inspire your fellow readers. We're all in this aging thing together, so let's help each other make the most of it!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make my 70s skin look years younger?
- Use a highly moisturizing night cream containing retinol and peptides to improve your skin's texture and elasticity. Apply every night.
- Exfoliate 2-3 times per week with a scrub containing glycolic or lactic acid to get rid of dull, dead skin cells.
- Always wear an SPF 30 or higher sunscreen during the day to protect against further sun damage.
- Consider in-office procedures like chemical peels or microneedling to boost collagen production.
- Use a rich eye cream containing hyaluronic acid to hydrate the delicate skin around the eyes.
What skincare ingredients should women in their 60s avoid?
Some ingredients commonly found in skincare can irritate and dry out mature skin. Steer clear of:
- Harsh scrubs with beads or shells
- Astringents like witch hazel
- Foaming cleansers, which can strip skin
- Heavy mineral oils that clog pores
Stick to gentle, nutrient-rich formulas suitable for your skin type. Always do a patch test when trying new products.
How can I make my face look visibly younger without botox?
- Apply a vitamin C serum in the morning to protect against collagen breakdown.
- Use a retinol cream or serum several nights per week to increase cell turnover. Start slowly.
- Drink collagen supplements or bone broth for plumper skin.
- Do facial massages to tone muscles and increase blood circulation.
- Stay hydrated and minimize salty foods, alcohol and caffeine.
- Consider laser or ultrasound treatments to boost collagen.
What hairstyles make older ladies look younger?
- Shoulder-length cuts with layers around the face.
- Face-framing bangs or side-swept fringe.
- Volume at the roots avoided flat hair against the scalp.
- Soft waves and curls to add movement and bounce.
- Youthful highlights in warmer blonde and brown tones.
- Short pixie cuts with tapered sides show off your jawline.
A modern, shapely cut can shave years off your look. See your stylist regularly.
How can I dress fashionably and age-appropriately in my 70s?
- Avoid frumpy, oversized clothes that drown your figure.
- Look for well-fitting jeans that hit at the ankle or lower calf.
- Add fun accessories like scarves, jewelry and shoes.
- Try tunics and flowy tops paired with slim pants or leggings.
- Throw on a blazer over dresses or jeans for polish.
- Opt for quality fabrics like wool, cashmere and silk.
- Play with trends like metallics, bold prints and textures.
- Own your personal style. Don't feel the need to dress younger than you are.
Focus on flattering pieces in chic fabrics. Stay current on trends for a modern flair.
Hopefully these additional FAQs provide helpful insights on how women over 60 can update their style and self-care routines to look years younger! Let me know if you need any other questions covered.
Resources used to write this article
American Academy of Dermatology Association. (n.d.). How to rejuvenate your skin while you sleep. Retrieved from https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/skin-care-secrets/anti-aging/how-to-rejuvenate-skin-while-you-sleep
Fallon, A. (2021, June 29). Hairstyles that make you look younger. Elle. Retrieved from https://www.elle.com/uk/beauty/hair/g36427128/hairstyles-that-make-you-look-younger/
Harvard Health Publishing. (2022, March 1). 12 ways to keep your skin youthful. Harvard Medical School. Retrieved from https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/12-ways-to-keep-your-skin-youthful
Katz, A. (2021, November 18). 10 makeup tricks that will take years off your face. Good Housekeeping. Retrieved from https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/anti-aging/a35047160/makeup-tricks-to-look-younger/
Mayo Clinic. (2022, August 16). Aging: What to expect. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/aging/art-20046070
Northwestern Medicine. (2021, November 16). 8 tips to look younger. https://www.nm.org/healthbeat/healthy-tips/8-tips-to-look-younger
Papantoniou, K., Vetter, C., & Schernhammer, E. S. (2018). Shift work practices and opportunities for intervention. Occupational and environmental medicine, 75(1), 2–3. https://doi.org/10.1136/oemed-2017-104702
Schultz, K. (2021, January 5). How to dress appropriately and stylishly at any age. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/05/style/how-to-dress-your-age.html
Zuckerman, D. M. (2020, March 2). Looking younger: Cosmetic procedures that take years off your face. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/looking-younger-cosmetic-procedures-take-years-off-face#1