Can CBD Improve Your Sex Life?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is taking the world by storm. This non-intoxicating compound found in cannabis offers a host of potential health and wellness benefits. One intriguing application gaining popularity is using CBD for better sex.
- What is CBD?
- Why Try CBD for Sex?
- The Science Behind CBD for Sex
- Potential Risks of CBD and Sex
- CBD Products to Enhance Sex
- CBD Oils and Edibles
- CBD Lubricants
- CBD Suppositories
- The Takeaway
- What types of CBD products can I use to enhance sex?
- What dosage of CBD should I use for sexual enhancement?
- How soon before sex should I use CBD?
- Can men use CBD products designed for women?
- Is CBD for sex safe?
- Can CBD improve sex for couples?
- What if CBD doesn't improve my sex life?
- Are there other complementary herbs I can try with CBD for sex?
Proponents claim CBD can boost libido, intensify orgasms, and enhance intimacy. But does the science back up the hype? Let's explore the evidence-based relationship between CBD and sex.
What is CBD?
Before diving into CBD for sex, let's cover the basics. CBD is one of over 100 active compounds called cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. Unlike THC, the cannabinoid famous for delivering a high, CBD is non-intoxicating. It won’t make you feel stoned.
CBD can be extracted from both marijuana and hemp plants. However, CBD products on the market are typically made from legal hemp. They contain less than 0.3% THC, an insignificant amount that won’t cause psychoactive effects.
People take CBD for its potential therapeutic properties. Researchers are looking into CBD’s effects on various health conditions from chronic pain to anxiety and epilepsy. The compound interacts with the body's endocannabinoid system (ECS), a complex cell-signaling network that regulates physiological processes like mood, pain perception, and sleep.
Now let's focus on the trending use of CBD for better sex. Does it really work or is it all hype?
Why Try CBD for Sex?
Enhancing sex with CBD is gaining popularity for several reasons:
- CBD may reduce anxiety and inhibit stress hormones like cortisol. This relaxing effect can make it easier to get in the mood for intimacy.
- Animal studies reveal CBD activates serotonin receptors involved in sexual arousal and pleasure.
- CBD may increase blood flow by dilating blood vessels. Better circulation can enhance sexual sensation and satisfaction.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD may relieve pain associated with conditions like endometriosis, improving desire and performance.
- CBD lube eases discomfort that can hinder sex for some women. It also heightens sensation.
The bottom line is CBD may target several factors that can inhibit arousal, lubrication, orgasm, and satisfaction in the bedroom. But what does the research say about using CBD for better sex?
The Science Behind CBD for Sex
Research specifically on CBD for sexual health is in the early stages with mostly animal studies available so far. But the results are promising. Here’s what science has revealed about the potential effects of CBD on sex drive and performance:
1. Boosts Libido
Low libido is a common issue that can stem from many causes - stress, depression, medication side effects, hormonal changes, and more.
Animal research published in the journal Hormones and Behavior administered CBD to male and female rats. The results showed increased sexual motivation and activity in both genders.
Scientists think CBD may stimulate dopamine receptors involved in sexual arousal and desire. The compound may also inhibit stress hormones like cortisol that can dampen the mood for intimacy.
2. Increases Lubrication
For comfortable, pleasurable sex, lubrication is a must. CBD shows potential to enhance lubrication in females struggling with dryness.
A clinical study had women use a CBD vaginal suppository before simulated intercourse. Those who used CBD experienced significant increases in lubrication compared to those who used a placebo.
The anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties of CBD can also help alleviate conditions like endometriosis that may make sex uncomfortable and inhibit lubrication.
3. Intensifies Orgasms
CBD not only shows potential to boost libido and lubrication but also intensifies orgasms.
The female participants in the above study who used the CBD suppository reported improved satisfaction with their orgasms compared to those who used the placebo.
CBD is believed to prolong and heighten pleasure by interacting with endocannabinoid receptors involved in the sexual response cycle. Anecdotal reports also claim CBD makes organisms feel more intense.
4. Reduces Pain
Pain during intercourse can severely impact sexual satisfaction and function. CBD's pain-relieving properties may help in this department.
Research finds CBD can reduce inflammation and calm overactive pain receptors. Topical CBD lubricants can provide targeted relief to tender or painful spots that hinder pleasurable sex.
CBD could benefit common conditions like endometriosis, vaginismus, vulvodynia, and prostatitis that cause pain with intimacy and affect sexual frequency and quality.
5. Lowers Anxiety
Anxiety or stress can significantly impact sexual performance and enjoyment. Worrying about erectile dysfunction or ability to orgasm can prevent men and women from fully relaxing during intimacy.
Human and animal studies find CBD reduces anxiety behaviors by increasing serotonin and altering how the brain responds to the stress hormone cortisol. This relaxing effect may make it easier to get in the mood and enjoy sex.
Potential Risks of CBD and Sex
While research looks promising, using CBD for sex still comes with some potential risks:
- CBD can cause side effects like diarrhea, fatigue, and changes in appetite and weight. It may also interact with medications you're taking. Discuss using it for sexual health with your doctor first.
- There are no guidelines for CBD dosing. Start low and increase slowly while monitoring effects and side effects. Avoid high doses.
- Research on CBD for female sexual health focuses on localized use like suppositories and lubricants. Little is known about the effects of generalized CBD products like oils and edibles on sexual function.
- Some CBD lubricants contain oils that may break down condoms. Check product instructions for compatibility.
- While hemp-derived CBD products are legal federally, there may be restrictions in some states. Check local laws.
- The CBD market is unregulated. Do your homework and only buy high quality products from reputable companies. Poor quality CBD may be ineffective and contain contaminants.
While considered generally safe, it's wise to use discretion when trying CBD for better sex. Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any concerns.
CBD Products to Enhance Sex
If you want to explore using CBD for better sex after weighing the risks, here are some top products to try:
CBD Oils and Edibles
CBD oils tinctures and edibles like gummies can be used daily to help reduce anxiety and stress levels. This may make it easier to get aroused and reach orgasm.
Dosages for oils and edibles are measured in milligrams. Start low with doses around 5-10mg. Wait at least 2 hours to gauge the effects before increasing your dose if needed.
CBD lubricants allow for direct application to the vagina or penis. They claim to heighten sensation and increase satisfaction. Look for water-based options suitable for use with condoms.
Some brands contain additional ingredients meant to boost arousal, such as herbs like ginger, peppermint, and cinnamon. Apply a few minutes before sex. Start with a small amount and reapply as needed.
CBD suppositories deliver the benefits of CBD directly where they're needed most - internally to the vagina. They can enhance lubrication, ease discomfort, and make orgasms more intense.
Suppositories have a fixed dose between 5-25mg. Insert 5-15 minutes before intercourse. Effects may last 4+ hours.
Early research indicates CBD holds promise for boosting libido, lubrication, and sexual satisfaction. But more human clinical trials are still needed.
While considered generally safe, start slowly with CBD for sex and discuss it with your doctor first. Focus on high quality, lab tested products from reputable brands.
If you experience positive results, CBD could become an integral part of your sexual health and wellness routine. But don't expect miracles from CBD alone. Factors like open communication with your partner and a low-stress environment also impact sexual fulfillment.
Overall, CBD for better sex is an intriguing concept backed by scientific potential. Trying legal, hemp-derived CBD products may help reignite your sex life, but always exercise care and caution with supplements.
What types of CBD products can I use to enhance sex?
You have several options when it comes to using CBD for sex. The most popular products include:
- CBD oils and tinctures - Taken daily by mouth, they help reduce anxiety for better arousal.
- CBD edibles like gummies - Consuming edibles daily can also lessen anxiety to boost libido.
- CBD lubricants - Applied directly on the genitals, lubricants increase sensitivity and satisfaction. Look for water-based options.
- CBD suppositories - Inserted vaginally, these provide localized CBD to enhance lubrication and pleasure.
- CBD topicals - Creams and serums can ease pain from conditions like endometriosis when applied to tender spots.
What dosage of CBD should I use for sexual enhancement?
There are no official guidelines for using CBD for sex. Dosing is very individualized. It depends on the product and your body chemistry. Follow package dosing instructions and start low. 5-10mg daily is typical for oils and edibles. Increase gradually while monitoring effects. Too much CBD may cause side effects.
For lubricants and suppositories, use the smallest dosage first. Reapply lubricants as needed. Effects may last 4+ hours with suppositories. Don't exceed product dosage recommendations.
How soon before sex should I use CBD?
Timing depends on the product. Ingestible CBD like oils and edibles need 2+ hours to kick in as they have to go through your digestive system.
For quicker effects, apply CBD lube right before intercourse. Insert suppositories 5-15 minutes before sex. Topicals should be applied when needed to ease pain during intimacy.
Can men use CBD products designed for women?
Some CBD products for sex are gender specific, like suppositories for the vagina. However, both men and women can use CBD oils, edibles, topicals, and lubricants designed for either gender. They offer whole-body benefits.
That said, women tend to prefer specialized products like suppositories for direct application to the vulva and vagina. Meanwhile, some men opt for general wellness products taken daily. Choose CBD products based on your individual needs and preferences.
Is CBD for sex safe?
CBD is considered very safe, especially when using high quality products as directed. However, research on its effects on sexual function is limited. Potential side effects include diarrhea, fatigue, appetite changes, and drug interactions.
Talk to your doctor before trying CBD for sex, especially if you take any medications or have underlying health conditions. Avoid using CBD along with ingredients that could cause harm, like caffeine or nicotine. Start slowly and monitor how you feel.
Can CBD improve sex for couples?
Yes, CBD may enhance sex and intimacy for couples when incorporated thoughtfully. Consume CBD oils, edibles, or topicals before couple's activities to ease anxiety and pain interference.
Use CBD lubes and suppositories together to increase arousal, lubrication, and satisfaction. Open communication about preferences, boundaries, and dosing is also key for the best results.
However, don't expect CBD to solve major relationship issues affecting your sex life. It can complement better sex but not replace healthy intimacy behaviors.
What if CBD doesn't improve my sex life?
Not everyone experiences better sex from CBD products. Results vary based on the individual. If you don't notice positive effects, double check the quality and dosage of the CBD you’re using. Increase the amount gradually while monitoring results.
Consider combining CBD with other lifestyle changes like stress management, better sleep habits, exercise, and a healthier diet. Avoid relying solely on CBD. Also, communicate openly with your partner about any issues impacting intimacy.
If problems persist, consult your healthcare provider or a relationship therapist. There may be underlying medical, psychological, or interpersonal factors affecting your sex life that CBD can’t fix.
Are there other complementary herbs I can try with CBD for sex?
Some CBD lubricants and suppositories contain herbs and botanicals that may complement CBD to boost libido, arousal, and pleasure. These include:
- Maca - Used to increase sexual desire and stamina.
- Horny goat weed - Known for enhancing arousal and performance.
- Ginkgo biloba - May improve blood flow for better erections and natural lubrication.
- Capsaicin - Provides a warming/heating sensation to heighten pleasure.
- Peppermint - Believed to stimulate and increase sensitivity.
However, research on these herbal ingredients for sexual enhancement is limited. Avoid using too many combinations. Consult your doctor about potential side effects and interactions with any medications you take.
The key is finding the right solo CBD product or combination that provides you the sexual benefits you seek. Focus on high quality ingredients sourced from reputable suppliers.