Can I Eat and Drink After Taking CBD Oil?
CBD oil has become wildly popular over the last few years. As more people add this supplement into their daily routines, questions about how to properly take CBD oil have emerged. One common question is: can I eat and drink after taking CBD oil?
- How CBD Oil Is Metabolized
- Can You Eat and Drink After Taking CBD Oil Sublingually?
- What About Brushing Teeth After Taking CBD Oil?
- Tips for Optimizing Your CBD Oil Routine
- How Long Do the Effects of CBD Oil Last?
- Common Questions about Eating/Drinking After Taking CBD Oil
- CBD Oil is Safe to Use with Food and Drinks
- Maximum Absorption for Greater Effects
- What food should you avoid when taking CBD oil?
- Can I drink alcohol after taking CBD oil?
- Is it better to take CBD oil before or after a workout?
- Can I mix my CBD oil with my morning protein shake?
- Will CBD oil break my fast if I’m intermittent fasting?
- How long should you wait to eat after taking CBD oil capsules?
- Should you take CBD oil with fatty foods to increase absorption?
- Does CBD oil go bad if you don’t refrigerate it?
- Can CBD oil be vaped or smoked?
- How long does it take for CBD oil to leave your system?
The short answer is yes, you can consume food and beverages after taking CBD oil. However, there are a few things to keep in mind to get the most out of your CBD oil dosage. Let's explore the details around eating and drinking with CBD oil.
How CBD Oil Is Metabolized
First, it helps to understand how CBD oil is processed in your body.
When you take CBD oil sublingually (under the tongue), the CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes in the mouth. This allows the CBD to bypass the digestive system and liver, so more of it is able to enter the bloodstream.
The CBD will reach peak concentrations in the blood within 1-2 hours when taken this way. The effects are felt rather quickly compared to other methods.
If CBD oil is swallowed immediately, it has to pass through the digestive system and liver. This is known as the “first pass effect” and reduces the concentration of CBD that makes it to your bloodstream.
When taken with food or drinks, CBD oil is more likely to be swallowed immediately and undergo first pass metabolism. This leads to lower bioavailability than taking it sublingually.
Now that you understand how CBD is absorbed based on how you take it, let’s look at whether you can eat and drink after taking it sublingually.
Can You Eat and Drink After Taking CBD Oil Sublingually?
Yes, you can eat and drink after taking CBD oil sublingually. However, most experts recommend waiting for at least 15-30 minutes after dropping CBD oil under your tongue before eating or drinking anything.
There are two reasons for waiting before consuming food and beverages:
- Maximize Absorption - It takes time for the CBD oil to be fully absorbed by the capillaries in your mouth. Anything you eat or drink too soon can wash away some of the CBD before it has been fully absorbed.
- Avoid First Pass Metabolism - Any CBD oil you swallow within the first 30 minutes has a higher chance of being metabolized by your liver and digestive system. This means less CBD ends up in your bloodstream.
Waiting 15-30 minutes allows sufficient time for most of the CBD oil dosage to enter your bloodstream through the oral membranes. This maximizes the bioavailability you receive from sublingual administration.
What About Brushing Teeth After Taking CBD Oil?
Brushing your teeth after using CBD oil may also disrupt some of the oil before it has been fully absorbed. For this reason, it's also best to wait at least 15 minutes after taking CBD oil to brush your teeth.
The 15-30 minute rule allows enough time for the mucous membranes under the tongue to absorb most of the CBD oil. After this time, any residual oil that gets swallowed or brushed away will have a negligible impact on the overall CBD content in your bloodstream.
Tips for Optimizing Your CBD Oil Routine
Here are some tips to get the greatest absorption from your CBD oil dosage:
- Take your CBD oil dose in the morning before eating breakfast. This allows ample time for absorption before consuming other food and drinks.
- Add a few extra minutes beyond 15-30 minutes before eating, drinking, or brushing teeth to optimize absorption time.
- Use breath strips or oral sprays with a faster sublingual absorption rate if you don't want to wait before eating/drinking.
- Place CBD oil under the tongue and leave it there for 60-90 seconds before swallowing to allow absorption through the oral membranes.
- Try holding the CBD oil in your mouth for as long as you can comfortably stand to maximize sublingual absorption before swallowing.
- Take CBD oil on an empty stomach or at least avoid a heavy meal for an hour beforehand to increase bioavailability.
- Use a product with nanoemulsion technology for faster absorption times. Nanoemulsions break down the CBD oil into tiny particles that absorb more quickly.
How Long Do the Effects of CBD Oil Last?
Now that you know to wait after dosing before eating or drinking, you may wonder how long the effects last. This depends on several factors:
- Method of Ingestion - Sublingual absorption provides the fastest effects that last 4-6 hours. Oral ingestion delays effects to 1-2 hours but they may linger longer.
- Dosage - Higher CBD oil doses extend the duration of effects compared to lower doses. The effects last longer as dosage increases.
- Frequency of Use - For new CBD oil users, the effects may last shorter periods of time. With regular use, the duration of effects extends.
- Products Used - Full spectrum CBD oils with a range of cannabinoids and terpenes may elongate the effects compared to CBD isolate oils.
No matter how long CBD effects last for you, make sure to wait at least 15 minutes after dosing before consuming food or beverages. This simple step helps maximize absorption so you can experience the full benefits of your CBD oil.
Common Questions about Eating/Drinking After Taking CBD Oil
Let's review some frequently asked questions about consuming CBD oil with food and drinks:
Can I take CBD oil with coffee?
Yes, you can take CBD oil with coffee but wait 15-30 minutes after dosing with oil before drinking your coffee. Consuming coffee too soon can affect absorption.
Should I take CBD oil before or after eating?
Take CBD oil before eating for maximum absorption, or after eating but still wait 15-30 minutes before consuming anything else. An empty stomach when dosing optimizes bioavailability.
Can I drink orange juice after taking CBD oil?
You can drink orange juice after taking CBD oil as long as you wait 15-30 minutes first. Acidic drinks like orange juice can degrade CBD over time but won't have a big impact if you wait to drink it.
Is it ok to swallow CBD oil right away?
It is okay to swallow CBD oil immediately but sublingual use is recommended. Swallowing results in lower absorption due to first pass metabolism. Under the tongue maximizes CBD levels.
Can I drink water after putting CBD oil under my tongue?
It's best to avoid drinking water for at least 15 minutes after sublingual CBD oil use. Water can wash away some of the CBD before full absorption by the oral membranes.
Should you vape CBD oil on an empty stomach?
Yes, vaping CBD oil on an empty stomach can maximize bioavailability just like sublingual tinctures. Always vape CBD oil 15-30 minutes before eating or drinking beverages.
CBD Oil is Safe to Use with Food and Drinks
Based on the available research, using CBD oil around mealtime is generally safe. There are no known contraindications between CBD oil and specific foods or drinks.
The timing of when you take CBD oil and when you eat/drink just affects absorption rates and bioavailability. By waiting 15-30 minutes after dosing, you can optimize your CBD oil routine.
Some ways CBD oil may interact with certain pharmaceutical drugs have been reported. But there are no similar interactions with particular foods or drinks.
Of course, consult your doctor if you have any concerns about using CBD oil with your current medications or medical conditions. But for most healthy individuals CBD oil is risk-free to use alongside eating and drinking.
Maximum Absorption for Greater Effects
Optimizing CBD oil absorption by properly timing around meals leads to more prominent effects. Greater bioavailability means more of the oil ends up in your bloodstream for your endocannabinoid system to use.
Sublingual use is ideal for avoiding initial liver metabolism and enter the bloodstream quickly. But allowing 15-30 minutes both before and after dosing avoids limiting absorption. This ensures you receive the full benefits from your CBD oil supplement.
Eating certain healthy fats a while after dosing may even boost absorption. Oils like olive oil, avocado oil, nuts/seeds, and omega-3s may enhance the effects but more research is still needed.
The bottom line is you can safely consume food and drinks after taking CBD oil. Just be sure to wait the recommended time period for maximum absorption. Then you can fully experience the benefits of your CBD supplement.
What food should you avoid when taking CBD oil?
There are no specific foods you need to avoid when using CBD oil. However, grapefruit and other citrus fruits can impact enzymes that metabolize medications and may affect CBD as well. Talk to your doctor about any contraindicated foods.
Can I drink alcohol after taking CBD oil?
Yes, you can consume alcohol after taking CBD oil. There are no known interactions between CBD oil and alcohol. But alcohol may enhance CBD’s sedative effects, so moderation is recommended. As always, wait at least 15-30 minutes after CBD dosing before drinking.
Is it better to take CBD oil before or after a workout?
Most experts recommend taking CBD oil after your workout. Pre-workout CBD may lower your motivation and counteract the energy-boosting effects of exercise. Post-workout CBD can aid muscle recovery.
Can I mix my CBD oil with my morning protein shake?
It's best not to mix CBD oil directly with protein shakes or other beverages. The CBD may not emulsify properly and separate out. Take your CBD dose sublingually first, then drink your protein shake 15-30 minutes later.
Will CBD oil break my fast if I’m intermittent fasting?
In most cases, no - CBD oil will not break your fast while intermittent fasting. As long as you are not using CBD oils with added sweeteners, it's just fat and oil that won't spike insulin or blood sugar.
How long should you wait to eat after taking CBD oil capsules?
When taking CBD capsules, wait at least 45-60 minutes before consuming food or drinks. Capsules need to pass through the stomach and be absorbed in the intestines, requiring more time than sublingual tinctures.
Should you take CBD oil with fatty foods to increase absorption?
Taking CBD with high-fat foods may boost absorption for some people but not others. Try it and see if you experience enhanced effects from CBD by pairing it with fatty meals or snacks.
Does CBD oil go bad if you don’t refrigerate it?
Properly formulated CBD oils can remain shelf-stable at room temperature for months before going bad. Refrigeration helps prevent premature degradation but isn’t mandatory for most full spectrum CBD oils.
Can CBD oil be vaped or smoked?
Yes, many CBD oil products are designed specifically for vaping/smoking. Vaping and smoking provide faster effects than tinctures but don't last as long. Do not attempt to smoke regular CBD oils.
How long does it take for CBD oil to leave your system?
CBD oil can stay in your system anywhere from 2-5 days for infrequent users. For those who take CBD daily, it may be detectable for 1-2 weeks after stopping due to buildup in fat tissues throughout the body.