How to Clear Your System of CBD
Have you been using CBD regularly and now want to flush it out of your system? CBD or cannabidiol has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its many purported health benefits. However, for some people, there comes a point where they want to take a tolerance break or stop using it altogether.
If this sounds like you, you may be wondering how long CBD stays in your system and what you can do to clear it out faster. Here is a comprehensive guide on how to flush CBD out of your system quickly and efficiently.
How Long Does CBD Stay in Your System?
The first question to address is how long CBD remains detectable in the body after you take it. This can vary based on several factors:
- Method of use - Inhaled CBD (vaping or smoking) gets absorbed faster and metabolizes quicker than ingested oils and edibles. Oils and edibles can linger in the system for over a week.
- Frequency of use - Frequent, daily CBD use results in accumulation and slower clearance than occasional use. With chronic use, CBD can be detected for over a month after stopping.
- Dosage - Higher CBD doses take longer to fully metabolize and excrete from the body.
- Metabolism - Individual metabolism, body mass, and genetic makeup affect CBD metabolization. Slower metabolisms leads to longer retention times.
- Drug testing - CBD may show up on urine tests for 1-2 days after use and up to a week or more on hair tests. Blood tests detect CBD for 3-4 days after last use.
So in general, CBD can remain detectable in the body for anywhere from 1 day to over a month after stopping use depending on these variables.
Now that you know how long CBD sticks around, what can you do to get it out of your system faster? Here are some proven methods.
7 Tips to Clear CBD From Your System
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - Drinking plenty of fluids is key for flushing out toxins. Aim for at least 2-3 liters of water daily to accelerate excretion. Herbal diuretic teas like dandelion can also help remove water-soluble CBD metabolites.
- Exercise and sweat - Activities that induce sweating like saunas, steam rooms, and working out help eliminate CBD and its byproducts faster through sweat and sebum. Just 30 minutes of cardio exercise per day can make a big difference.
- Eat fiber - A fiber-rich diet with fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, and whole grains improves gut motility and elimination of CBD through feces. Fiber binds to CBD metabolites for quicker excretion.
- Consider a detox or cleanse - Doing a short vegetable juice cleanse or detox program with liver supporting herbs can boost detoxification pathways that facilitate CBD clearance. Always consult a doctor before cleansing.
- Take cleansing supplements - Certain supplements can enhance liver function and clearance of CBD metabolites. Milk thistle, dandelion, and NAC are examples. Probiotics support elimination through the gut.
- Avoid re-exposure - Prevent reintroducing CBD into your system by avoiding any CBD or cannabis use. Second-hand exposure to smoke may also lead to minor detection.
- Be patient - Ultimately, it simply takes time for CBD to fully clear based on the factors mentioned earlier. Avoid taking new doses and continue supporting your body's natural detox mechanisms.
Remember, detoxifying too aggressively can be dangerous, so take a gradual approach. Additionally, always talk to your doctor before starting a new diet, exercise routine, supplements or cleanse.
Why Might You Want to Flush CBD Out Faster?
There are several reasons why someone using CBD might want to clear it from their system sooner than usual:
- You need to pass an upcoming drug test for work, sports, or legal reasons. CBD can cause positive urine, blood, and hair test results.
- You want to lower your tolerance and sensitivity to CBD. Taking a break helps reset your endocannabinoid system.
- You are experiencing side effects like drowsiness, reduced appetite, or anxiety, and want to eliminate CBD faster.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding, and want CBD fully cleared before resuming use after the baby is born. THC is not recommended during pregnancy/nursing.
- You have an upcoming medical procedure and need to avoid CBD prior. CBD can increase sedation with anesthesia.
- You are trying CBD for the first time and want to fully assess the effects. Having a cleared system allows you to start with no buildup.
- You simply want to take a T-break and give your body a rest from all cannabis compounds.
No matter the reason, the tips outlined above will help you accelerate the removal of CBD from your body. Be patient, make lifestyle changes, and avoid reintroducing CBD until you’ve reached your clearance goals.
How to Minimize Withdrawal Symptoms When Stopping CBD
Quitting CBD use after a long period can sometimes cause mild withdrawal symptoms. Here are some tips to minimize unpleasant side effects when going off CBD:
- Taper gradually - Decrease your dosage over a number of weeks instead of stopping abruptly. This gives your body time to adapt.
- Stay hydrated - Drink extra fluids during the transition period to avoid headaches, nausea and dehydration.
- Consider liver support supplements - Milk thistle, NAC, and glutathione may help ease metabolism related symptoms.
- Manage stress - Try yoga, meditation, Epsom salt baths, massage and other relaxing activities to curb anxiety.
- Get plenty of sleep - Prioritize rest during the adjustment period. Calming teas or magnesium at night can aid sleep.
- Exercise - Light exercise can help relieve tension and boost feel-good endorphins to counteract irritability.
- Eat nutritious whole foods - Focus on anti-inflammatory foods like fruits, veggies, healthy fats and lean proteins.
- Avoid triggers - Steer clear of stimuli that make you crave CBD like certain social situations or flavors.
- Substitute habits - Replace CBD use with new healthy habits and hobbies to distract your mind.
- Seek support- Talk to understanding friends or join an online community to help overcome challenges.
With proper self-care and gradual reduction, you can make quitting CBD manageable. The discomfort is usually mild and temporary. If symptoms persist or worsen, consult your doctor.
Natural Ways to Detox Your Body
Detoxing your body through natural methods can help clear out any substances faster, including CBD. Here are some easy, safe ways to detoxify your system:
Drink lemon water - Starting the day with a glass of warm lemon water stimulates digestion and the liver's detoxification processes. The citric acid boosts enzyme production and bile flow.
Add cilantro - This potent herb binds to heavy metals and toxins in the gut to eliminate them from the body more efficiently. Blend into smoothies.
Soak in Epsom salts - Magnesium sulfate baths help the body purge toxins through the skin. The sulfates also boost glutathione which facilitates liver detoxification.
Try dry brushing - Using a dry brush on bare skin before showering can help remove dead cells and improve circulation and lymph flow to clear metabolic waste.
Switch up your diet - Avoid processed foods, added sugars, and unhealthy fats that burden your detox organs. Focus on antioxidant and fiber-rich produce.
Stay hydrated - Proper water intake keeps elimination channels flowing and prevents buildup of toxins. Herbal detox teas also add hydration.
Breathe deeply - Deep belly breathing oxygenates the body and helps release toxins through exhalation. Try pranayama techniques.
Sweat it out - Infrared saunas, steam rooms and exercise make you sweat out wastes through your pores and sebum.
Try intermittent fasting - Periodic fasting gives your liver and gut a break to focus solely on detoxification for deeper cleansing.
Get grounded - Walking barefoot on soil or using grounding mats helps draw toxins out through your feet while filling you with electrons.
Natural detoxification paired with a healthy lifestyle provides ongoing support for clearing CBD and other substances out routinely. Always check with your doctor before starting a new regimen.
In summary, here are some key points to remember:
- How quickly CBD clears your system depends on dose, frequency, metabolism and type of test. For most users, CBD becomes undetectable within 1-4 weeks of stopping but can be longer with chronic use.
- Flushing your system faster can be beneficial to reset tolerance, pass a drug test, avoid side effects or for other reasons.
- Drink plenty of fluids, exercise, eat fiber, supplement wisely, and avoid re-exposure to help expedite CBD removal. Be patient and support your body's natural detox mechanisms.
- Withdrawal effects are usually mild but can be managed by slowly tapering dosage, staying hydrated, reducing stress, getting sufficient sleep and other relaxation techniques.
- Natural detoxification through diet, herbs, hydration, fasting and sweat release assists your body's innate ability to purge toxins.
Consult a medical professional before making major changes. With the right strategy tailored to your needs, you can clear CBD from your system efficiently. Be sure to listen to your body every step of the way.
Will taking activated charcoal help remove CBD faster?
Activated charcoal can potentially speed up elimination of some CBD metabolites by trapping them in the gut before they enter the bloodstream. However, activated charcoal also absorbs nutrients so should be used carefully. Take at least 2 hours apart from food and supplements.
Does CBD get stored in fat cells?
Yes, since CBD is fat-soluble, it can accumulate in fat tissue throughout the body when taken frequently. This is why it takes longer to clear CBD from your system with a higher body fat percentage. Losing body fat may help mobilize and release stored CBD.
Are there any foods or drinks I should avoid when trying to detox from CBD?
Avoid fatty, fried and processed foods which can accumulate CBD and burden your detox organs. Stay away from alcohol which stresses the liver. Caffeine may exacerbate anxiety and withdrawal effects, so limit intake.
Will taking CBD again reset the clearing process and timeline?
Yes, if you start retaking CBD before it's fully cleared, it essentially resets the clock and starts the process over again. Avoid reintroducing CBD until it has been fully eliminated.
Can medications or other drugs interfere with CBD detoxification?
Some prescription drugs use the same liver enzymes as CBD, so could potentially compete for metabolism and delay CBD clearance. Discuss any medications with your doctor and monitor for interactions.
How can I test if CBD is fully cleared from my system?
Home urine testing strips can detect CBD metabolites for up to a week or two. For longer-term monitoring, lab testing of hair or urine samples would provide the most accurate results to assess full clearance.
Will working out more help purge CBD from fat stores?
Yes, because exercise mobilizes fatty acids for energy use, it can facilitate the release of CBD stored in body fat so that it can enter the bloodstream for eventual excretion.
Are saunas better for detoxing CBD compared to steam rooms?
Dry saunas tend to induce more profuse sweating which helps eliminate toxins. However, both saunas and steam rooms boost detoxification if used properly by a healthy individual. Stay hydrated and listen your body.
What foods or supplements help liver detoxification?
Some options include artichokes, cruciferous veggies, avocados, green tea, milk thistle, dandelion root, turmeric, alpha lipoic acid (ALA), N-acetylcysteine (NAC) and nutritional yeast.
How long after stopping CBD use is it safe to get pregnant?
Experts advise avoiding conception for at least 1 month after ceasing CBD use. This allows enough time for complete clearance from your system to prevent potential risks to a developing fetus. Always check with your OB-GYN.
Can certain medications or supplements help expedite CBD detox?
Some research shows activated charcoal and chlorophyll may help. Medications should be discussed with a doctor first. Avoid detox methods that are too harsh or could deplete nutrients. Supporting your body's natural processes is ideal.
Are there ways to make withdrawal symptoms less intense?
Gradually tapering CBD dosage over time rather than abruptly stopping can help minimize unpleasant withdrawal effects. Staying hydrated, reducing stress, taking supplements, and getting light exercise may also ease discomfort.