Lose weight and burn fat with these bedtime snacks and foods
Going to bed hungry can be one of the biggest obstacles to losing weight. Late-night cravings can sabotage your weight loss efforts. Eating the right foods before bed, however, can actually help you burn fat overnight and lose weight while you sleep.
- Why Eating Before Bed Can Help With Weight Loss
- Best Bedtime Snacks For Weight Loss
- Tips for Nighttime Snacking and Weight Loss
- The Takeaway: Eat These Healthy Snacks Before Bed for Weight Loss
- Can eating before bed help you lose weight?
- What are some healthy bedtime snacks to eat to lose weight?
- Is it bad to go to bed hungry if you're trying to lose weight?
- Can eating before bed affect sleep quality?
- Are protein shakes a good snack to have before bed?
- Can eating late at night lead to weight gain?
- What are some healthy late-night snacks to satisfy hunger?
- How many calories should a bedtime snack contain?
- Can eating protein before bed burn calories?
- Is it better to avoid eating before bed to lose weight?
In this post, you'll learn about 10 perfect bedtime snacks to help you lose weight. These night time snack ideas will satisfy your hunger, prevent cravings, boost fat burning hormones, and help you wake up feeling lighter.
Why Eating Before Bed Can Help With Weight Loss
Eating a filling, nutritious snack before bedtime has several benefits for weight loss:
- It prevents late night bingeing on high-calorie foods that lead to weight gain. Going to bed hungry can cause you to wake up in the middle of the night and uncontrollably snack on foods near your bed. A healthy snack keeps you satisfied.
- It stabilizes blood sugar levels overnight. This provides steady energy levels and prevents hunger pangs that disrupt sleep.
- It boosts metabolism. Eating protein-rich foods before bed increases metabolism-boosting muscle growth hormones while you sleep.
- It burns fat. Consuming foods that are rich in protein, fiber and healthy fats at night increases fat-burning hormones like glucagon.
With the right snacks, you can lose weight by eating before bed. Just be sure to keep the snack small, about 200 calories. Here are 10 nutritious and slimming late night snacks to help curb hunger and burn fat overnight.
10 Best Bedtime Snacks For Weight Loss
1. Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt is one of the best snacks to eat before bed for weight loss. It contains hunger-reducing protein and minimal sugar, so it won't spike your blood sugar levels.
The tryptophan in Greek yogurt also helps the brain produce melatonin and serotonin, hormones that promote relaxation and control sleep-wake cycles. This helps improve sleep efficiency, which is important for weight management.
Aim for 2/3 cup of low-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt. Top it with berries for some natural sweetness and added fiber.
2. Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is a protein powerhouse, providing 14 grams per 1/2 cup. The casein protein in cottage cheese digests slowly to promote satiety. This prevents late night hunger that leads to snacking.
As a good source of tryptophan, cottage cheese also contains sleep-enhancing properties to help your body burn fat overnight. Sprinkle it with cinnamon or nutmeg and pair it with 30 almonds for a satisfying, metabolism-boosting bedtime snack.
Almonds make an excellent nighttime nibble for weight loss. They are packed with protein, fiber, magnesium and vitamin E. The healthy fats and fiber in almonds help slow digestion to keep you fuller for longer.
Almonds also contain tryptophan to help you sleep. This allows your body to burn more calories while you sleep. Limit your portion to about 1 ounce, or roughly 30 almond nuts.
4. Chickpea Hummus and Vegetables
Hummus is a protein- and fiber-packed snack made from blended chickpeas and olive oil. Combining hummus with cut up raw veggies gives you a nutritious nighttime snack that provides lasting energy.
The fiber and protein keep you satisfied to prevent late night cravings. The complex carbs in the chickpeas and veggies also help transport tryptophan to the brain to boost production of the sleep hormone melatonin.
5. Turkey and Cheese Roll-Ups
Roll a slice of low-fat turkey or chicken breast around a slice of low-fat cheese for a high protein, calcium-rich bedtime snack. The protein helps slow digestion and keep you feeling full throughout the night.
The tryptophan from the turkey coupled with the calcium from the cheese can help you fall asleep faster. This allows your body to burn more calories overnight.
6. Banana and Nut Butter
Spreading a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter onto half a sliced banana makes for a carb-protein combo that provides lasting energy. The tryptophan in the nut butter and carbs in the banana help boost serotonin levels to promote sleep and appetite control.
Be sure to stick to just half a banana to keep sugar content low.
7. Protein Shake
Whey, casein or plant-based protein powders mixed into a shake or smoothie can make for the perfect bedtime drink. Protein shakes provide a dose of protein to support muscle recovery, satiety and appetite-reducing hormones overnight.
Look for protein powders that contain amino acids like glycine, L-theanine and tryptophan to promote relaxation and sleep. Limit added sugar by avoiding flavored varieties.
A half-cup serving of dry oats microwaved with a cup of milk or nut milk provides an energizing, fiber-rich bedtime snack. The whole grains provide lasting energy overnight while the natural tryptophan relaxes the body and gets it ready for sleep.
Top your oats with fruit and sprinkle with cinnamon for extra carbohydrates to help transport tryptophan to the brain.
9. Cherry Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Cherry tomatoes paired with mozzarella pearls makes for a simple savory snack at night. The protein from the cheese combined with vitamins from the tomatoes provide nutritious fuel to keep your metabolism humming.
The tryptophan in the cheese helps relax the body and improve sleep efficiency so you burn more fat overnight.
10. Chamomile Tea
Sipping on a warm cup of chamomile tea before bed helps relax the body to prepare it for sleep. Chamomile contains apigenin compounds that bind to GABA receptors in the brain to reduce stress, anxiety and insomnia.
The relaxation benefits of chamomile tea allow your body to burn more fat overnight. Avoid adding sugar to your tea to prevent potential weight gain.
Tips for Nighttime Snacking and Weight Loss
To get the most out of these nighttime snacks for weight loss:
- Consume your snack about 30 minutes before bed - This gives enough time for digestion so you don't go to bed with an overly full stomach.
- Stick to around 200 calories - This provides just enough fuel to get through the night without leading to weight gain.
- Combine complex carbs with protein and fiber - This formula offers steady energy and keeps you full.
- Avoid sugary, fried or processed foods - These can spike blood sugar and metabolism-slowing hormones.
- Drink a glass of water - Staying hydrated prevents false hunger signals.
- Brush your teeth afterward - This prevents additional snacking since your mouth feels clean.
- Keep healthy snacks by your nightstand - Having go-to options within reach prevents nighttime trips to the kitchen.
The Takeaway: Eat These Healthy Snacks Before Bed for Weight Loss
Avoiding late night hunger pangs and cravings is key to losing weight. The right nutritious snacks that contain protein, fiber and tryptophan can boost fat burning overnight.
Your best options include Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds, hummus, turkey rolls, protein shakes, oatmeal and tea.
Stick to about 200 calories and allow enough time to digest before laying down to sleep.
These nighttime snack ideas will help control hunger, improve sleep quality, balance blood sugar and boost your metabolism so you can lose weight while you sleep.
Can eating before bed help you lose weight?
Eating certain snacks before bed can actually help with weight loss. By choosing healthy late-night snacks that are low in calories and high in protein, you can keep yourself full throughout the night and boost your metabolism while you sleep.
What are some healthy bedtime snacks to eat to lose weight?
Some healthy bedtime snacks that can aid in weight loss include cottage cheese, almonds, Greek yogurt, and protein shakes. These snacks are low in calories, high in protein, and can help you feel full and satisfied throughout the night.
Is it bad to go to bed hungry if you're trying to lose weight?
Going to bed hungry may not be beneficial for weight loss. It can lead to midnight cravings and potentially overeating the next day. It's better to choose a healthy evening snack that will provide satiety throughout the night without adding unnecessary calories.
Can eating before bed affect sleep quality?
Eating a heavy meal right before bed may affect sleep quality and digestion. It's best to avoid eating large meals close to bedtime to ensure a good night's sleep.
Are protein shakes a good snack to have before bed?
Yes, protein shakes are a good snack to have before bed. They are low in calories, high in protein, and can help you build muscle while you sleep. Just make sure to choose a protein shake that is low in sugar and fat.
Can eating late at night lead to weight gain?
Eating late at night could potentially lead to weight gain if you consume high-calorie foods or exceed your daily calorie intake. It's important to choose healthy snacks that are low in calories and provide nutritional benefits.
What are some healthy late-night snacks to satisfy hunger?
Some healthy late-night snacks to satisfy hunger include cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, almonds, and sliced fruits. These snacks are low in calories and provide essential nutrients for your body.
How many calories should a bedtime snack contain?
A bedtime snack should contain around 100-200 calories. This allows for a satisfying snack without consuming excessive calories before bed.
Can eating protein before bed burn calories?
Consuming protein before bed can help increase your metabolism and burn calories while you sleep. Protein requires more energy to digest, which can contribute to calorie burning.
Is it better to avoid eating before bed to lose weight?
It's not necessary to avoid eating before bed to lose weight. Choosing the right snacks that are low in calories and high in protein can actually aid in weight loss by keeping you full, boosting metabolism, and preventing late-night cravings.