10 different ways to burn 500 calories in an hour.
Wanting to burn 500 calories in an hour? Looking for the best workout to burn 500 calories? With obesity rates rising, many people are looking for efficient ways to burn calories and lose weight. Burning an extra 500 calories a day can help you lose about a pound a week!
- Why Is It Helpful to Know How to Burn 500 Calories Quickly?
- How Many Calories Does an Hour of Exercise Burn?
Ways to Burn 500 Calories in Under 60 Minutes
- Go for a 3-4 Mile Run
- Cycle or Row for 50 Minutes
- Swim Laps for 60 Minutes
- Take a Heart Pumping Spin or Cycle Class
- Jump Rope for 30-45 Minutes
- Try Kickboxing or Cardio Kickboxing
- Do a HIIT Treadmill Workout
- Take a High Intensity Spin Class
- Complete a Hardcore Circuit Training Session
- Play Basketball, Soccer, or Racquet Sports
- Tips to Burn the Most Calories Per Hour
- The Takeaway: Burning 500 Calories Is Totally Doable
- Q: What are 10 different ways to burn 500 calories in an hour?
- Q: How can I estimate the number of calories burned during a workout?
- Q: What are some fun ways to burn 500 calories?
- Q: How long does it take to burn 500 calories?
- Q: Which exercises help burn 500 calories in 30 minutes?
- Q: Can I burn 500 calories per day to lose weight?
- Q: How can I burn more calories during exercise?
- Q: How many calories does walking on a treadmill burn?
- Q: What other exercises can help me burn 500 calories?
- Q: Is it possible to continue to burn calories after a workout?
This article will provide 10 great options for burning 500 calories in under 60 minutes. We'll overview different workouts, detail how many calories each burns per hour, and explain how to maximize your caloric burn. Read on to learn how to torch calories and improve your health through exercise!
Why Is It Helpful to Know How to Burn 500 Calories Quickly?
Burning 500 calories in an hour may sound like a lot, but it's very doable with the right type of exercise. Knowing how to burn calories quickly is useful for several reasons:
- It can help you meet a calorie deficit goal for weight loss. To lose one pound a week, you need a 3,500 calorie deficit. Burning 500 extra calories a day creates this deficit.
- Short, intense exercise sessions burn more calories per minute than lower intensity workouts. You can burn more calories in less time.
- High calorie burn workouts improve cardiovascular fitness and build calorie-burning muscle. This boosts your metabolism so you burn more calories all day.
- Tracking your calories burned during exercise helps you determine if you're creating the deficit needed to lose weight.
- Knowing which workouts torch the most calories lets you maximize your calorie burn during exercise sessions.
How Many Calories Does an Hour of Exercise Burn?
The number of calories you'll burn in an hour depends on the exercise, your weight, and how intensely you work out. Here's a rough estimate of calories burned per hour for a 155 pound person:
- Walking: 300 calories
- Jogging: 500-600 calories
- Swimming laps: 500 calories
- Biking: 400 calories
- HIIT workout: 600-800 calories
- Weight training: 250-400 calories
Heavier people burn more calories for the same exercise. But in general, high intensity cardio and full body circuit training burn the most calories per hour.
10 Ways to Burn 500 Calories in Under 60 Minutes
Here are 10 great workouts that can help you torch 500 calories in under an hour:
1. Go for a 3-4 Mile Run
Running burns a lot of calories in a short time. At a 10 minute per mile pace, a 155 pound person burns around 100 calories per mile. So going for a 4 mile run in 40 minutes will incinerate around 500 calories.
2. Cycle or Row for 50 Minutes
Both cycling and rowing burn calories at a rapid rate. Riding a bike vigorously or rowing hard for 50 minutes can burn 500+ calories. To burn more, incorporate intervals of high resistance and speed.
3. Swim Laps for 60 Minutes
Swimming laps at a moderate-vigorous effort for an hour will help most people burn 500+ calories. Doing a combination of freestyle and breaststroke laps keeps it interesting.
4. Take a Heart Pumping Spin or Cycle Class
Spinning or high intensity cycling classes often burn 700+ calories per hour. The fast pace, climbing, and intervals get your heart rate sky high for maximum calorie burn.
5. Jump Rope for 30-45 Minutes
Jumping rope is a highly effective calorie blaster. In under 30 minutes of fast rope jumping you can torch 500+ calories. Use interval training to maintain the high intensity.
6. Try Kickboxing or Cardio Kickboxing
The punches, kicks, and athletic moves of kickboxing obliterate calories. Take a high energy kickboxing class or do kickboxing intervals on a heavy bag for up to 800 calories burned per hour.
7. Do a HIIT Treadmill Workout
HIIT (high intensity interval training) is a fast way to burn calories. Doing short sprint intervals on a treadmill can burn 700+ calories in just 30-40 minutes. Sprint for 30 seconds then recover for 90 seconds.
8. Take a High Intensity Spin Class
Spinning classes utilize intervals of intense cycling with recovery periods. By keeping your heart rate elevated throughout, these 50 minute classes can torch up to 750 calories.
9. Complete a Hardcore Circuit Training Session
Circuit training combines weight lifting with cardio intervals like jump rope, rowing, and kettlebell swings. It burns fat and keeps metabolism high during and after training.
10. Play Basketball, Soccer, or Racquet Sports
Playing high intensity sports can burn upwards of 800 calories per hour. The constant movement, sprinting, and using your muscles burns megacalories!
5 Tips to Burn the Most Calories Per Hour
Here are some tips to help you maximize calorie burn so you can burn 500 calories in under an hour:
- Incorporate HIIT: High intensity interval training burns more calories than steady state cardio. Alternate intense bursts with short rest periods.
- Use major muscle groups: Full body exercises like burpees and kettlebell swings burn more calories than isolation moves.
- Stay hydrated: Dehydration hampers workout performance so you burn fewer calories. Drink water before, during, and after exercising.
- Use good form: Proper form allows you to work out longer and more intensely to increase caloric expenditure.
- Monitor intensity: Using a heart rate monitor helps you maintain a high intensity level for maximum calorie torching.
The Takeaway: Burning 500 Calories Is Totally Doable
Burning 500 calories in under an hour is a challenging but attainable goal for most relatively fit people. Using smart programming that combines HIIT, total body exercises, and compound movements is key for maximizing calorie burn.
Consistently burning 500 extra calories a day creates the 3,500 weekly calorie deficit needed for 1 pound of fat loss per week. So choose a workout you enjoy and get ready to sweat, burn calories, and sculpt a lean physique!
Here are the key takeaways:
- High intensity cardio and full-body circuit training burn the most calories per hour
- Running, biking, swimming, and HIIT workouts are great for burning 500 calories quickly
- Use interval training, big muscle group exercises, and proper form to maximize calorie burn
- Burning 500 extra calories daily can help you lose about 1 pound per week
- Tracking calories burned during exercise helps ensure you maintain a calorie deficit
So try one of these efficient calorie-blasting workouts and you’ll be torching 500 calories in no time!
Q: What are 10 different ways to burn 500 calories in an hour?
A: Here are 10 different ways to burn 500 calories in an hour:
Q: How can I estimate the number of calories burned during a workout?
A: There are various formulas and online calculators available to estimate the number of calories burned during a workout. These calculations take into account factors such as your body weight, the intensity of the exercise, and the duration of the workout.
Q: What are some fun ways to burn 500 calories?
A: Some fun ways to burn 500 calories include dancing, participating in a group fitness class, playing a sport, swimming, and cycling.
Q: How long does it take to burn 500 calories?
A: The time it takes to burn 500 calories depends on the intensity of the exercise and your body weight. On average, it takes approximately 60 minutes of moderate to intense exercise to burn 500 calories.
Q: Which exercises help burn 500 calories in 30 minutes?
A: High-intensity workouts such as circuit training, running, kickboxing, and interval training can help you burn 500 calories in just 30 minutes.
Q: Can I burn 500 calories per day to lose weight?
A: Burning 500 calories per day through exercise, in addition to maintaining a healthy diet, can help you create a calorie deficit and potentially lead to weight loss over time.
Q: How can I burn more calories during exercise?
A: To burn more calories during exercise, you can increase the intensity of your workouts, incorporate interval training, add resistance training, and engage in activities that involve large muscle groups.
Q: How many calories does walking on a treadmill burn?
A: The number of calories burned while walking on a treadmill depends on factors such as your body weight, walking speed, and incline. On average, you can burn around 500 calories in an hour of brisk walking on a treadmill.
Q: What other exercises can help me burn 500 calories?
A: Apart from the previously mentioned exercises, other activities that can help you burn 500 calories include rowing, jumping rope, hiking, and using an elliptical machine.
Q: Is it possible to continue to burn calories after a workout?
A: Yes, it is possible to continue burning calories after a workout. This is known as the "afterburn effect" or "excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC)." High-intensity workouts and strength training can increase your metabolic rate for several hours after exercise, leading to continued calorie burning.